Vote411 What's on your ballot... my answers.

https://www.vote411.org/ballot 

I'm not entirely certain where the glitch happened, but I wasn't able to answer these questions on the form that was submitted, so here they are for you now.

Describe your background, experience and qualifications for this office and the reasons why you are running for it.

 I’ve been a self-employed bookkeeper/business consultant for the past 30+ years. My volunteer work includes serving as a Cub Scout leader and Pack Treasurer for Pack #19. I remained as treasurer for years after my son left Scouts, until the pack found a replacement. Additionally, I and other residents have worked together to oppose the locations of the adult book store (small win), the location of the full nude strip club (failed), and most recently, the location of a tire service & tow yard (TBD), all in Blair Township. I also volunteered with “Voters Not Politicians” as an educator, giving presentations in NW lower MI to teach voters about gerrymandering and why we needed an independent, non-partisan citizen redistricting commission (win!). I’ve also served as an election worker, specifically as a receiving clerk with Blair Township since 2018.

 I have been a resident of Blair Township for 40 years and do not know how or what decisions the commission has made that affect the residents of District #1. In my experience, the only time the BOC makes the news is when their decisions affect Traverse City proper. I’m running to learn, to inform, to represent the residents of District #1, and to ask for their input.  In my 40+ years in Blair Township I didn’t even know I had a County Commissioner, and last year my opponent ran unopposed.  He won simply by write in vote. 

 I’m running to give the residents of District #1 a voice in the BOC.

What are the top 2 (or 3) priority issues that this office should address and what actions would you take regarding each of them?

Affordable workforce housing is consistently a top concern these days. Many businesses struggle to find employees simply because people cannot afford to live and work here.

Infrastructure is another pressing issue. My neighborhood, now approximately 50 years old, has crumbling streets. As I drive around my district, I notice similar lack of maintenance and aging, crumbling of residential and secondary streets.

Growth is inevitable in our desirable area, but pursuing growth without considering the consequences to our beautiful lands and waterways is careless. We must protect and preserve our natural beauty while accommodating growth.

Over the past few months, I have been attending or watching Board of Commissioners (BOC) meetings, and I am troubled by what I have observed. Too many contractors are receiving tax abatements for constructing small, overpriced apartments. County parks have been transferred to townships, potentially illegally, and other parks have been purchased for exorbitant prices like $3 million. County employees are proposing a new campus, which I estimate would cost tens of millions of dollars, for a "want," not a "need." It is time for someone like myself—a  former struggling single parent and self-made businesswoman—to rein in unnecessary spending and prioritize investments in what our county truly needs: affordable housing, well-maintained residential and secondary roads, and protection of our natural environment. Additionally, we must ensure our residents have access to a safe and affordable nursing home, as well as improved access to quality mental healthcare.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GT County Special Meeting Thursday June 13, 6-10PM (click on read more for proper formating)

Welcome to the beginning of open communications!

The Traverse City Ticker interview.